Man's nap with contact lenses on results in blindness

Man's nap with contact lenses on results in blindness

A man went for a quick nap and woke up losing an eye.

A young man in Florida went completely blind in one eye after contracting a rare flesh-eating infection after he went for a short snooze with his contact lenses still on.

Mike Krumholz, a 21-year-old man from Florida, US, decided to go for a 40-minute nap after spending a busy day at his part-time work which required looking after children.

The incident took place on December 19 last year. When Krumholz woke up after his nap, he felt irritation and inflammation in his right eye.

However, having worn contact lenses for almost seven years, Krumholz was no stranger to odd eye infection or ‘pink eye’.

“My contacts just felt really irritated like they were floating in my eye. I took them out and there was nothing wrong. So the next morning I woke up, I went to play baseball and I had to take my contacts out like right away,” Krumholz told Daily Star.

The 21-year-old college student told his parents he needed to be taken to an eye doctor because he felt “something wasn’t right”.”I thought I had pink eye or something and he [the doctor] took a picture of the back of my eye after dilating – and he was like something is not right,” he added.

It took over a month and seven medical professionals to receive the correct diagnosis. Krumholz was diagonsed with acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare flesh eating parasite that is feeding away at his right eye.

““I could not explain one pain like this in my life,” he said. “The pain is more from the back of my eye, all the way up [from the back of my head] and goes down [to the front],” the 21-year-old said.

As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), just one to 33 cases per million contact lens wearers in developed countries are diagnosed with this rare condition.

While the future of his eyesight looks blurry, the life-changing incident hasn’t taken away Krumholz’ wind. The university student has been spreading awareness across the Internet about the dangers of leaving contact lenses in while you sleep.

Source link